Sunday, May 11, 2008

Tools of the Trade: Dutch oven

This Christmas I asked for and received a 6 1/2 quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven. I had a smaller one (without enamel) that I didn't use, but this one would be a different story. And it is!

I wanted this pot so I could bake easy, crusty bread. There's been a lot of hoopla about this kind of bread, first in the NY Times, and more recently in Cook's Illustrated. I had to tweak the recipe (the bottom kept burning), but it is now turning out reliably well. The pot and lid are important because they are preheated. The risen dough is added and covered, then baked for 30 minutes. The heat and steam inside create the thick, chewy crust. The bread is then uncovered and baked for another 20 + minutes.

This is one big, heavy bread pan though, so I'm multi-tasking with it now. The wide base, tall sides, and heat retention make it great for browning meat. Below are some chunks of pork shoulder that I browned before simmering in the crock pot. I'll post the procedure later; the shredded meat is good for BBQ, burrito filling, or even fried rice.

This winter I've been tweaking a beef stew recipe, and my new pot has improved the outcome. The same issue of Cook's Illustrated (Jan/Feb 2008) that had the bread recipe and Dutch oven recommendation also had a feature called "Mastering the Art of Stew". The biggest revelation for me was the idea of simmering in the oven. At 300-325 degrees, the food cooks gently without scorching on the bottom. I can brown the onions and meat on top of the stove, add liquid, simmer in the oven until the meat is tender, add other veggies, and continue in the oven until they are tender as well. I've heated chili in the oven, too.

I am thrilled with my heavy green pot, which, by the way, also looks beautiful on the table. Yes, I know I am easily amused. ;-)

No comments: