Saturday, December 6, 2008

Pomegranate Tutorial

I'm not a big fan of pomegranates (too seedy!), but the rest of the family really likes them. They're a seasonal treat, showing up around November to December.

I learned from Sunset magazine how to prepare them neatly for easy eating. The key is to do most of the work under water to keep the bright red juice from splattering all over.

First I cut the fruit into quarters through the skin. I pull the quarters apart under the water.
The seeds are in little compartments separated by papery walls. Just rub them gently to dislodge. The juicy seeds sink to the bottom while the waste pieces float on top for easy removal.Notice that the water is not as clear as at the beginning? It's discolored from all the juice that did NOT spray on the wall, the coffeemaker, and my shirt!Pour off the floaty bits, rinse, pour off again, and drain.Scoop into your serving bowl and enjoy.

No comments: