Sunday, June 28, 2009

Summer Blueberry Pie

Blueberries are delicious, but I don't especially like them cooked. So I don't enjoy blueberry muffins, blueberry pancakes, or regular blueberry pie. That's why this cold version (similar to strawberry pie) appeals to me. It's also what makes it a summertime treat--FRESH berries are required.

I tweaked recipes from my aunt and from cookbook author Jane Brody to come up with my version. Simply bake a standard crust, make a sauce by cooking crushed blueberries with sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch, fold in raw berries, and chill. It's fabulous plain or with whipped cream, and easy enough to make extra--one to give away or save for tomorrow. ;-)

Summer Blueberry Pie
1 quart (4 cups) fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water (plus more for the cornstarch)
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp lemon juice
9" pre-baked pie shell
whipped cream, optional
  1. In a medium pot, crush 1 cup of blueberries with the sugar. Add water and bring the mixture to a boil.
  2. Meanwhile mix the cornstarch with enough water to make a pourable slurry.
  3. After the berry mixture bubbles, remove the pot from the heat. While constantly whisking the berries, slowly pour in the cornstarch slurry. Return to the heat and continue to whisk and simmer until the mixture is clear and thickened. Remove from heat.
  4. Stir lemon juice into the berry glaze. Pour in the remaining three cups of berries, stirring with a rubber spatula until they are all coated.
  5. Spread filling into the pie shell and chill. Enjoy!
Notes:
  • For a strawberry variation, arrange 3 cups of berries in the pre-baked pie shell. Make the glaze and pour it over them. The strawberries need to be whole or halved--if you slice them, the gel will break and you will have strawberry soup!
  • You could substitute a graham cracker (or vanilla wafer or animal cracker) crust, if desired.
  • To pre-bake a regular pie crust, prick it all over (even on the sides) with a fork (this keeps it from buckling) and bake at 475 until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Although I will use store bought dough for quiche, I think it's worth the trouble to make my own crust for this pie. Baking it without any filling helps make the crust extra flaky:

4 comments:

Maxine said...

Visiting from F&F Live. My mouth is watering! This looks sooooo delicious. Glad you posted the recipe!

Unknown said...

Hey!
Elizabeth Foss has the same recipe at her Kitchen Blog! I have made from that recipe before it looks exactly the same!
http://ebeth.typepad.com/kitchen_comforts/2006/06/mrs_rices_fresh.html

~Martha Clein

Barbara said...

You're right--I gave this recipe to Elizabeth years ago. She usually makes the strawberry version while I almost always make blueberry. Elizabeth also submitted it for a summer recipe feature in Faith and Family magazine, I think in 2008. The garlic grilled whole chicken in that article is another I gave her. Her steak salad is beautiful and delicious!

Elizabeth Foss said...

Martha,
Barbara is the "Mrs. Rice" in Mrs. Rice's Blueberry Pie :-) on my blog.
We make it with blueberries, with strawberries and with tree-fresh peaches.