Saturday, January 26, 2008

Taco Soup

A friend shared this simple, quick recipe with me.

2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 package taco seasoning mix (I use reduced sodium)
Brown meat. Add onion and mixes and cook.

1 can (15 ounce) dark red kidney beans
1 can (15 ounce) pinto beans
1 can (15 ounce) hominy
1 small can chopped green chiles, optional
3 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) stewed or petite diced tomatoes
3-4 cups water
Do NOT drain the cans. Add to meat mixture. Cook about 30 minutes, until soup is hot and flavors are blended.

This is great served with chili condiments: sour cream, fritos, grated cheese, and sweet or green onions. If you want it thicker (or want it to fit in your crockpot), just don't add as much water.

This recipe is easy to increase. It freezes fine, but it's so easy that I don't see the point in taking up the freezer space. Maybe making and freezing extra meat mixture would give you a head start. With that in the freezer and cans in the cupboard, you'll always have an emergency dinner ready.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Luckily I saw this before I went to the grocery....I plan to get the canned goods and try this either tonight or tomorrow. I bet my crew will love this!

Thanks for posting.

Please post more soups...........

Anne said...

Made it.
We loved it.
It is gone!

What next?

Love,
Anne