Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Waverly "Candy"

We didn't make many cookies for Christmas this year, so I'm allowing myself to gradually bake some of our holiday favorites now and then. Lauren especially likes these buttery and slightly sweet treats.

This is a recipe I got from my mom, although I've seen variations since.

Waverly "Candy"
Waverly or club or graham crackers
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1/2 cup white or brown sugar

Fill a jelly roll pan (11" x 17" x 1") with crackers in a single layer. Sprinkle with nuts. Slowly heat butter and sugar until it just comes to a rapid boil. I whisk the butter mixture to keep it homogenous. Pour over the crackers and nuts, covering completely. Bake at 350* for 10-15 minutes, until browned. Watch near the end so they don't burn. While still warm, remove to a cooling rack. Store tightly covered.

Notes:

  • For some reason, heating the butter mixture slowly does matter. I hurried it once, and it wasn't as good.
  • Try to get the oven time just right--too long and the crackers burn, too short and the cooled product is chewy rather than crisp.
  • If you wait until the crackers cool before removing from the baking sheet, they will stick and break.
  • You can drizzle on melted chocolate, if desired.

No comments: