Saturday, February 16, 2008

Best-Ever Hot Chocolate

February is a great time to think about (and to drink) hot chocolate, and I've got a delicious version. It's better and easier than those recipes that call for cocoa powder with powdered milk or coffee creamer. Please don't even mention the bags of "hot cocoa mix"...

The house with the big trampoline might have more kid visitors most of the time, but we definitely draw the apres-sledding crowd.

Hot Chocolate
1 quart milk
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
vanilla, to taste

Heat milk almost to a boil. Add chocolate. Pause. Whisk until chocolate is melted, then add vanilla to taste. Enjoy; we like ours topped with whipped cream or mini marshmallows.

Notes:
  • I just splash the vanilla in. I'd guess 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons for this batch.
  • To make an individual serving, use 1 cup milk, 3 Tbsp chocolate, and a smaller splash of vanilla.
  • We usually use skim milk, but the creamier milks are more luxurious.
  • Speaking of luxury, for a more sophisticated drink (dessert?) use whole milk, or milk with part cream, and add bittersweet chocolate. If you don't have bittersweet, make some by substituting unsweetened baking chocolate (chopped or shaved) for part of the chocolate chips (1:3 ratio).
  • I usually heat the milk (4-6 cups) in an 8 cup glass pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. After whisking the chocolate and vanilla, it's easy to pour into mugs. For larger batches I use the stovetop and serve with a ladle.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I remember drinking your hot chocolate on the March for Life........

Anne

Barbara said...

That's a fond memory for me, too.

This recipe does make a big batch well!

For Patty's caroling party I use a gallon of whole milk with 3 cups of chocolate. I heat it in a big pot, then transfer to my big crock pot. Low heat is enough--when I leave it on high, it is scalding!

If I take hot chocolate out,I usually fill the thermos with boiling water for a few minutes to preheat it. This helps the HC stay warm longer.