Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Interesting Ingredients--Ginger Made Easy

Grated fresh ginger is listed in a few recipes on this site. I for one don't want to run to the store to buy a big knob of ginger every time I need it. Nor do I want to keep some on hand waiting to spoil in between uses. So here's what I do instead:

Buy a nice piece of ginger and peel it.Cut it into chunksand whirl in the food processor until minced.Form into a log on plastic wrap, roll it up, and put in a freezer bag.Store in the freezer. When I want grated ginger, I just unwrap the log and shave some off with a sharp knife or cleaver. Sometimes I let it thaw a bit to make the shaving easier. A log of ginger lasts through MANY uses.

EASY!

1 comment:

Frau Nelson said...

Neat! I wanted to mention that I saw an interesting and fast way to peel ginger with a spoon on www.bravotv.com when looking at Top Chef stuff. If you are interested in the brief video I could try to remember how to get to it...